The Royal Titulary of Ancient Egypt
The origins of the names of the pharaohs
Where do the names of the pharaohs of ancient Egypt really come? Why are many pharaohs known by a multitude of names?
Most pharaohs are known not by their actual name, but instead by the Greek approximation from the historians 2000 years ago. The sources are often very few, be it scraps of papyrus, a single amulet, or, huge temples. Some pharaohs have left virtually no archeological record, and for some we only know parts of their name.
- The Pharaohs The hieroglyphic names and more
- The King lists The lists of kings from monuments and papyrus
- The Historians The kings from the Ancient historians writings
- The Dynasties The dynasties and their pharaohs
- The Obelisks Detail of their origin and contents
- The Illustrations Paintings and other illustrations